What is your favorite meal of the day? I’d have to say mine is breakfast. I love all breakfast foods… from cold cereal to bacon and eggs, to my Baked Oatmeal Breakfast. And then there’s the deliciously yummy sweet breakfast foods like cinnamon buns. Oh la la! These are definitely a Saturday morning treat around our home. I shared a sneak peak of these on my Instagram last week and it looks like I’m not the only cinnamon bun lover around… so I had to share the recipe!
We have some really wonderful neighbors and we often share our baking with them (especially since the mom of the house doesn’t enjoy baking!) They gave these their biggest stamp of approval! Even their lil’ 3 year old rubbed his tummy and told me they were yummy!
I’ve really come to appreciate foods that you can prepare the day before and then just bake the next day or morning in this case. And now imagine waking up in the morning to the smell of cinnamon and dough baking in the oven!
These buns are the softest and fluffiest I’ve ever had. Add cream cheese icing on top and it can’t be beat!
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. yeast (instant)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out dough
- 6 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- For the dough: In a small saucepan, warm milk over low heat until lukewarm. Pour the warm milk into the bowl of a stand electric mixer filled with the dough hook attachment. With a spoon, manually stir in the sugar and yeast. Let stand until the yeast is foamy, about 5-10 minutes. On low speed, beat in the softened butter until it is slightly broken up. Next, add the eggs, one at a time, and then the salt. The butter won't really be mixing into the mixture, but that's okay. On low speed, slowly add the flour. Once it is all added, beat on medium speed until a soft dough forms. Increase speed to medium high and beat until the dough is soft and supple, about 6 minutes longer.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it with your hands for 1 minute. Form the dough into a ball and transfer it to a lightly greased bowl. Cover the dough loosely with plastic wrap or a towel and let sit in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 to 2 hours. Hint: Warm oven and then turn off. Place the covered dough inside and let rise.
- Grease the bottom of a 9X13 inch baking dish. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and using a rolling pin, roll into a 13X8 inch rectangle. Make sure the dough is smooth and evenly thick.
- Spread softened butter all over the dough. In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon together and then spread evenly over dough. Tightly roll up the dough to form an 18 inch log. Cut into 12 even rolls. Arrange in prepared baking dish, cut sides up. Cover the rolls with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or 8-12 hours).
- Remove cinnamon buns from refrigerator and let rise in a warm place until they are puffy. About 1-2 hours.
- After they have risen, preheat oven to 375F. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. About halfway through baking time, cover buns lightly with foil so the tops don't brown too much. Remove dish from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add icing sugar, milk and vanilla. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds and then on high speed for 2 more minutes. Using a knife, spread the icing over the cinnamon buns and serve immediately.
These are perfect to make if you’re having company! Don’t let all the steps in the recipe scare you… they are worth the extra effort and will have you ohhhing and ahhhing!
Hope you’re all having a wonderful week! Thanks so much for stopping by and don’t forget to stop by tomorrow for our weekly link party, Your Turn To Shine!
Recipe adapted from: Sally’s Baking Addiction
Linking to these fabulous parties:
Inspire Me Tuesday, Time To Sparkle, On Display Thursdays, Tuesdays At Our Home, Motivational Monday, The Dedicated House, The Makers Link Party, Party In Your PJs, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Whimsy Wednesday, Moonlight and Mason Jars, Work It Wednesday, Pin Worthy Wednesday, Wednesday Roundup, Artsy Fartsy Link Party, Inspire Me Please, Grace At Home, Creative Collection, Weekend Wind-down Party, Best of The Weekend, Super Saturday, Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop, Share It Sunday, Talented Tuesdays, Pretty Pintastic Party, Think and Make Party, Something To Talk About, The Creative Circle,