I’d love to share the perfect, quick-to-throw-together casserole with you! We’ve been spending all our days outside soaking up the sun and this Macaroni and Cheese can easily be made ahead of time and then just baked in the oven before suppertime.
This recipe comes from an old, old cookbook that was handed down to my husband. The cover is long gone, the pages are yellowed and torn. It’s been made countless times and satisfies young and old alike. It’s comfort food at its finest. I also love how versatile it is… you can add different spices to suit your family’s tastebuds. Or you can add wieners, sausage or bacon. I hope you try it soon!
2 cups macaroni
1 1/2 tsp. butter
1 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup milk
1 cup grated cheese (packed)
1 cup bread crumbs (slightly toasted)
Optional: sliced wieners or sausage; cooked
1. Cook macaroni according to directions on package. When tender, drain macaroni and rinse with cold water and set aside.
2. Melt butter, whisk in flour, salt and pepper.
3. Add milk and stir over low heat until slightly thickened.
4. Add cheese and stir until melted.
5. Add sauce and (meat if using) to macaroni and mix well in a greased 9X9 casserole dish.
6. Cover with crumbs and bake in oven at 350F for 20 minutes. (Note: Baking time will vary depending if you refrigerate this ahead of time.) Cook until heated through.
Cooked macaroni and wieners, cheese sauce and bread crumbs
Thanks so much for stopping by and hope your day is fabulous!
Until next time,