Happy Tuesday Friends!
I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! It seems like summer’s arrived in our neck of the woods! We are enjoying some beautiful and sunny weather and am so excited for all-things summer!
Once a month, a few of my wonderful blogging friends and I do a One Ingredient Challenge. We all start out with the same ingredient and go to town with it! Make anything you want from it. In case you missed it, April was bacon and March was peanut butter.
And this month, it’s lemons!
Lemons are something that go in our grocery cart every week. There’s some foods that don’t even go on my list because they’re staples in our home. Lemons are one of those. Whether we use them in our water bottles, to go along with fish, for strawberry lemonade, or even garnish, we love lemons!
As soon as I heard the word lemons, I knew which recipe I’d share. This is hands-down my favorite cake.ever. I first tasted it about 7 or 8 years ago when one of my dearest friends had us over for my birthday and this is the cake she made. I fell so in love with it that the next year on my birthday I told my husband that I’m making it for my birthday. He wasn’t too impressed with the idea that I’d be making my own cake but I assured him I don’t mind, especially since it was my favorite. Well, that morning my friend called to wish me a happy birthday and she asked me what I was doing and when I told her and she said “Kendra! You’re not supposed to be making that cake! I’ve made you one again this year!” Needless to say, we had our fix of Blueberry Citrus Cake that week!
This cake is absolutely bursting with flavors… from the moist lemon cake, to the cream cheese icing that has just the right amounts of lemon and orange flavors, to the juicy and plump blueberries in the center. Trust me when I say this cake will make you ohhh and ahh! It always impresses when I serve it!
- 1 package lemon cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp. grated lemon peel
- 1 tbsp. grated orange peel
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp. orange juice
- 2 tsp. grated orange peel
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 cups whipped topping
- In a bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, orange juice and oil.
- Beat on low speed for 30 seconds and then continue to beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Fold in blueberries and peels.
- Pour into two well greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- Add icing sugar, orange juice and peels; beat until blended.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- You can also use frozen blueberries instead of fresh. Do not thaw but use them right from the freezer.
My mouth is watering just looking at all the amazing lemon recipes below! Be sure to check out all the amazing recipes… and enjoy the rest of your week!
Recipe Adapted from: Taste of Home